The Fool Wouldn't Have Crossed My Path Had I



This morning I woke up at 5:30 with a migraine, it wasn't really surprising as I had a hard time sleeping. When 7:30 rolled around and I was supposed to get up the migraine was still there. I wasn't going anywhere at least not for a while. By 10:15 I woke up again my head feeling a little bit better. Now I could start my day.

It's now 2:25 and I'm left wondering what would have happened had I gotten up at 7:30. I know the idiot on US 14 in Woodstock wouldn't have been there. However, he truly is the reason why I'm writing this post. I was at a stop light at14 and Kishwaukee Valley Road when I noted a bicyclist riding on the shoulder in the opposite direction. I watched him switch over to my side and thought nothing much of it. I figured he was going to ride with traffic.

I left the stop light and oncoming traffic passed me the last being an 18 Wheeler when all of a sudden the Idiot on the bike decides to cross over to the other side of the road right in front of me. I turned the wheel and jammed on my breaks making sure I avoided him and glancing in the rearview making sure that the car behind us didn't hit us. All was okay as he merrily went to the other side. I was left with a WTF moment and a mix of emotions. I could have killed this fool had I not been paying attention. Was this some kind of game for him or worse was the guy toking for a way to commit suicide but didn't have the nerve to do it himself? I know that sounds cruel but if that was truly thinking that well...

Let's look at the big picture if this was his thought. You know maybe he had an insurance policy that would pay in case of accidental death. Maybe he figured his family would be taken care of  by the money. Look, I know it is crazy to speculate but having had a person tell you all the ways your life would be more enriched by their death can give you understanding of how a desperate mind works.

The things this fool on the bike didn't think about was the person driving the car. The speed limit is 55 right there. If I would've struck him in my car he would have been severely injured at a minimum and dead at the worst. Either way the person driving the car and the passengers would be harmed mental and emotional if not physically had their car been struck by the car behind them. There is a whole other set of people that could've been traumatized or injured. So whatever his foolish motivation even if he just did it for a thrill, it was stupid and dangerous and screwed with me.

Oh and that headache is back in spades.


© D.M. Needom

Comments

Popular Posts